- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Unbleached Cake Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1¼ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Reserve Vanilla
- 1½ Cups Unsalted Butter - softened
- 6 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Reserve Vanilla
- 2 teaspoons Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet while alternately adding buttermilk.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Divide batter between 2 (8") round cake pans that have been generously greased with butter or shortening.
- Bake 25 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer cakes to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the butter for 1 minute.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Scrape the sides in between each addition. Mix for 30 seconds between each sugar addition.
- Add vanilla and buttermilk.
- Mix on medium/high speed for 4-5 minutes. Frosting will be light and creamy.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before frosting your cake. Whip once more before frosting cake.