- 1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar*
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cans Oregon Red Tart Cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 crusts for a 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain the cherries and reserve the juice from only one can.
- In a saucepan, stir the cherry juice into the combined mixture of the cornstarch and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in cherries and almond extract.
- Pour filling into pastry lined pie pan. Dot with butter or margarine. Adjust crust, seal and vent.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until crust browns and filling begins to bubble. If necessary, cover edges with aluminum foil during last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning. Cool pie several hours to allow filling to thicken before slicing.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 – 6 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough forms a ball. Do not overmix.
- Divide dough into two balls. Using a well-floured surface and rolling pin, roll each pastry ball from the center to the edges with long, even strokes.
- Roll each pastry into a circle large enough to fit in a 9-inch pie plate.