- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy cream, COLD
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 12 Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies, crushed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 sticks butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup Dutch Process (I use Hershey's Special Dark) cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 TBS hot water
White Poured Frosting:
- 2 TBS salted butter, melted
- 2 TBS heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBS light corn syrup
- Mini and Regular Sized Chips Ahoy Cookies, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour three (8 or 9 inch) round cake pans and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, melted butter and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water. In a small bowl, stir together flour and mini chocolate chips to coat. Fold into cake batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tops of cake spring back when lightly touched in the center. Let cool in pans for about 5 minutes, then remove to cool completely on wire racks. Once cakes are room temperature, wrap and chill (preferably overnight).
- Prepare filling:Place the metal bowl of your mixer, along with whisk attachment, in the freezer for 5 minutes. Remove from freezer and add heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Beat on high until you have whipped cream that forms stiff peaks (keep an eye on it....it can turn to butter if you let it go too long). Fold in crushed cookies.
- Level the chilled cakes with a serrated knife. Fill each layer generously with cookies and cream filling. If possible, stick in the freezer for about an hour, so the filling will firm up so it's easier to frost.
- Prepare frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar and cocoa powder slowly until just barely mixed in. Add water and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes. Frost cake and refrigerate for one hour.
- Prepare glaze: Whisk together melted butter, heavy cream, and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in light corn syrup. Pour frosting over the top of the cake, spreading to the edges so it can drip down the sides. Garnish top and edges with cookies