- Chocolate Cake recipe baked and cooled in two 9-inch rounds
For the Cheesecake:
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the Vanilla Frosting:
- 2 1/4 cup (5 sticks) butter, softened
- 6 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanille extract
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate covered almonds (use white frosting or melted white chocolate to pipe football seams)
- food coloring
Prepare the chocolate cakes.
Prepare the cheesecake filling:
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Line a 9-inch cake tin with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray, and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before layering the cheesecake in between the two layers of chocolate cake.
Cover the cakes and let chill completely.
Prepare the frosting:
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, alternating each addition with a liquid (the vanilla and then the whipping cream) until everything has been added and frosting has reached desired consistency. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Keep covered in an airtight container until ready to use.
- If desired, reserve about 1/4 of the frosting to color.
- Place the three layers of cake (that should stick together after being chilled) on your serving plate.
- Frost the cake with an offset spatula.
- If you want to add colored frosting in the same way I did: pipe a thick colored stripe of frosting around the bottom and use an offset spatula to smooth it along with the white frosting. Press sprinkles around the bottom of the cake (it's a messy job, but I think it's a nice finish).
- Pipe colored frosting around the top of the cake using a large open star tip. Top each swirl with a chocolate almond football.