- 2 large or 4 smaller sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn kernels (I didn’t thaw them)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3-2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- for garnish–~2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place your sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and rub them with a little oil. (<—this is optional. I used avocado oil. I like how it helps the skin get crispy.)
- Bake the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender, about one hour for large ones.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the black beans, corn, salsa, lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Stir well and cook until everything is heated through, a few minutes. Remove from heat.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, gently cut a thin layer off of the top of each potato. Use a spoon to gently remove the flesh from each potato and place it into a medium bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash the flesh of the sweet potatoes. Stir in the bean and corn mixture.
- Spoon the mixture back into the skin of the sweet potato and top each one with the shredded cheese.
- Put the cheese-topped sweet potatoes back into the oven under the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted, about two minutes. Enjoy!
All rights and credits reserved to the owner:
Maryea of "Happy Healthy Mama"